Configuring custom fields and and forms in Halp is a powerful way to gather more information from your end-users and sort different types of requests. Once you set up your fields, check out this article on setting up your custom forms.
To begin setting up your custom fields, first navigate to Settings > Custom Fields in the web portal. Note: You will need to be an Admin to access the settings.
From here, you can create your custom fields by clicking the 'Add custom field' button.
The pop up menu will prompt you to fill out required information to create the field. The 'Name' will be what you use to identify this field from within Halp. The 'Label' will be what is shown to the user when they fill out the form. You can also set a placeholder for Short or Long Text field types.
The five custom field types are:
- Short Text - Best for gathering small amounts of information such as email addresses or names. Character limit of 150.
- Long Text - Great for longer descriptions of issues. Character limit of 3000.
- Dropdown - Dropdown custom fields are great for sorting issues. Once you select the Dropdown field type you will see more options appear below the type selector. You can add you dropdown options through the 'Add option' button.Multiselect - Slack does not currently allow for multi-select dropdowns but we have pre-built this option in anticipation.
Synced - If you're using a Jira or Zendesk integration, synced fields are a quick way to get your fields that are already set up in Jira or Zendesk into Halp without having to copy/paste all of your options. Note: This does not automatically map the field to your integration. For information on how to do that see here: Field Mapping for Zendesk or Field Mapping for Jira.
- Date - This will prompt end-users with a calendar type picker to select the date.
- User - This field type will generate a list of all the users in your slack workspace. A great use for this option is if you need approval for a software access request from the requester's manager, the end-user could select them from a list.
Pro Tip: Fields are organized alphabetically. If you have a lot of fields that you would like to group by form type, you can start the field's name with the form's name. For example 'New Hire - Start Date' and 'New Hire - Email' will be grouped together.